Skylight Music Theater’s 2022-23 Season Features Disney’s Holiday Show
Skylight Musical Theater next season will bring Disney flavor to the holidays and the story of a French saint to the Broadway Theater Center.
The 2022-’23 season, announced by the artistic director Michael Unger and colleagues at a Monday night Skylight event, includes “A Jolly Holiday: Celebrating Disney’s Broadway Hits,” a new family-friendly revue featuring 30 songs from Disney musicals; and “The Song of Bernadette,” a new musical from composer Frank Wildhorn about Bernadette Soubirous, the girl from Lourdes whose Marian visions have stunned the world.
Here is a list of Skylight’s 2022-23 productions, in chronological order:
- “Mom Mia!” Sept. 23-Oct. 16. The ABBA song-filled musical, about a young woman about to get married trying to figure out who her biological father is. Could this day be his Waterloo?
- “Happy Holidays: Celebrating Disney’s Broadway Hits”, 18 Nov-Dec 31. “Let It Go”, “Circle of Life”, “Be Our Guest” and “Bare Necessities” are among the songs in this review. “The show is a perfect two-hour bauble for its Disney-loving heart and family audience. You get all the hits performed in a simple, entertaining and loving way that’s embraceable, energetic and effervescent,” New Jersey Stadium wrote in his review of the production of Paper Mill Playhouse. A set of youngsters will complete the professional cast of Skylight. Unger will direct.
- “Avoid”, February 3-19, 2023. Rána Roman and Andrew Varela, who starred together in Skylight’s “Kiss Me, Kate,” return to play the Peróns in the Webber-Rice musical. While Skylight had planned a concert version of this show for a season scuttled by the pandemic, the 2023 version will be a fully staged production.
- “Noise off”, From March 17 to April 2, 2023. Skylight performs Michael Frayn’s farce about a collapsing farce, on stage and backstage, with a twist: live music by an ensemble playing and singing music composed by the revivalists of Fuel Edison lounge. Unger will direct.
- “Bernadette’s song”, From May 19 to June 11, 2023. The first fully staged production of a new musical that draws on the same source material as the famous 1943 film: Franz Werfel’s novel “The Song of Bernadette”. Skylight calls it a “world premiere development production” of a Broadway-bound show.
In addition to these five subscription shows, Skylight will present staged concert readings of new musical works by BIPOC composers and writers, dates to be announced later.
Under the skylight present! banner, these one-night tribute concerts are scheduled: “Sweet Baby James”, October 22; “An Evening with Prince and Michael Jackson”, January 20, 2023; and “Dancing Queen – An ABBA Salute”, February 24, 2023.
All performances are at the Broadway Theater Center, 158 N. Broadway. For subscription information, call 414-291-7800 or visit skylightmusictheatre.org.