Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross join drummer Antonio Sánchez on new song
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross teamed up with famed drummer Antonio Sánchez – who conducted the acclaimed percussion score for birdman – for a new song, “I Think We’re Past That Now”.
Sánchez’s drums guide the multi-faceted track, beginning with an off-kilter swerve. rising in a monumental boom of arena-rock, then settling into an energetic mix before a final explosion. Reznor provides the song’s lead vocals (and wrote the lyrics), bellowing over Sánchez’s dynamic drumming and the song’s killer mix of industrial synths.
“I Think We’re Past That Now” will appear on Sánchez’s new album, Shift (Bad Hombre Vol. II), which will arrive on August 26 via Warner Music. It’s also the only new original song on the album, because Change Primarily features Sánchez partnering with some of his favorite artists to deconstruct and reinvent their songs through the “Bad Hombre” persona he introduced on his 2017 album of the same name.
The project was actually made a bit easier by the pandemic, which made it easier for Sánchez to collaborate remotely with all the other artists on the record (although he still largely designed the album himself, playing no only drums but guitar, bass, mandolin, oud, and more). With Reznor and Ross, Change includes Dave Matthews and Pat Metheny, Rodrigo and Gabriela, Meshell Ndegeocello, Kimbra, Lila Downs, Ana Tijoux, Becca Stevens, Silvana Estrada, MARO and Thana Alexa.
“My anger has transformed,” Sánchez said in a statement about the change between bad man and Change. “And the fact that this material didn’t originate with me changed the equation. It helped me bring a new perspective and a sense of wonder to ‘What else can it be? ‘ And due to the pandemic-related delays, I keep joking that I was pregnant for a few years…and now there’s a really epic baby.
Shift (Bad Hombre Vol. II) Track list
1. “Overture” (feat. Ignacio López Tarso)
2. “Eh Hee 2.0” (with Dave Matthews and Pat Metheny)
3. “Mi Palabra” (feat. Ana Tijoux)
4. “The Bucket” (feat. Becca Stevens)
5. “I Think We’re Over Now” (with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross)
6. “Alambari” (feat. MARO)
7. “Dean” (feat. SONICA)
8. “Risa de Mujer” (featuring Lila Downs)
9. “Trapped (Red Room)” (with Thana Alexa)
10. “Comet, come to me” (with Meshell Ndegeocello)
12. “Risa de Mujer (Interlude)” (feat. Lila Downs)
13. “El Agua y la Miel” (feat. Silvana Estrada)
14. “Suspended Animation” (feat. Kimbra)
15. “M-Power” (feat. Rodrigo and Gabriela)
16. “Closure” (feat. Ignacio López Tarso)